Brief history of the city of Breaza
The appearance and development of the settlement is related to the old road on the Prahova Valley that connected Câmpina, through Poiana Câmpina and reached Comarnic. The locality was probably founded by the Mocans from the lands of Râşnov and Bârsa. The town is mentioned for the first time in 1431, during the reign of Alexander I. This specification appears in a document dated 1667, edited by Elena Cantacuzino.
In 1502, the registers of Brasov mention a merchant named Neagoe, who came from Breaza. A Neagoe master is also mentioned in a deed issued by Vlad the Younger (1510-1512), on May 27, 1510, as being endowed with several villages, including Breaza.
The estate was then owned by the Cantacuzino family. In 1711, the ruler Constantin Cantacuzino confiscated the property of the traitorous boyars Gheorghe and Toma Cantacuzino, and among the confiscated domains was half of the Breaza estate.
Prince Nicolae Mavrocordat gives the village of Breaza to Iordache Creţulescu.
An important moment in the history of the locality is the relocation of the customs from Câmpina to Breaza de Sus, in 1834, by order of the ruler Alexandru Ghica. The customs operated in Breaza until 1858, when it was moved to Predeal, being a crossing point between Muntenia and Transylvania. The documents of the time mention an important number of inns established in those times.
The importance of the area during that period is also underlined by the fact that the locality of Breaza de Jos becomes the residence of Prahova.
The occupations of the inhabitants of the area were the traditional ones related to animal husbandry and wood processing: carpentry, shingles production, carpentry, lime and brandy production, cattle and sheep breeding.
Currently, due to the favorable climate, Breaza is a famous climatic resort, being a popular place for rest and recreation.
It was declared a spa resort in 1928, the air quality being compared to that of Davos.
Among the historical monuments within the locality we mention the Church of St. Nicholas from Breaza de Sus, built in the days of Prince Alexandru Ipsilanti, in 1777. The place of worship has the shape of a nave, with apse at the altar, has thick brick walls and shingle roof . The church is decorated with paintings and on the outside, it has 35 medallions at the top.
The house where the actor Ion Manolescu lived (1881-1959) is kept in good condition in the locality. It is located on Gării Street at number 5. The actor retired to Breaza towards the end of his life and was even mayor of the locality.
We mention that in the city are preserved a series of buildings of village origin, with porches and gazebos, roofs on four slopes and shingle roofs. We must not overlook the urban buildings that were built since the interwar period: Doicescu House, General Ceausu House, Ion Manolescu House and others.
Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. This category only includes cookies that ensures basic functionalities and security features of the website. These cookies do not store any personal information.
Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website.